Chicago’s journey advisory was slated to be up to date Tuesday afternoon, however metropolis well being officers mentioned a delay in information from the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention as a result of lengthy vacation weekend has delayed town’s replace.
“Our weekly COVID Journey Advisory is delayed this week as a result of up to date CDC COVID information wasn’t obtainable late Monday due to the federal vacation,” the division posted on social media. “As soon as the latest information is on the market, the journey advisory might be up to date later right this moment (Oct. 12) or Wednesday (Oct. 13).”
The advisory, up to date weekly, dropped final week to 47 states and three territories, as Connecticut was faraway from town’s warning checklist, officers introduced.
Town’s well being division mentioned Connecticut noticed its day by day case charge drop under the brink for being on the journey advisory and keep under that threshold for 2 straight weeks.
Connecticut, California and Puerto Rico have been the one places not on town’s advisory over the past replace. Officers famous, nonetheless, that the District of Columbia, Massachusetts, and Louisiana have been near coming off the checklist.
States are added to the advisory’s “orange checklist” when COVID metrics rise above the brink of 15 instances per day per 100,000 folks. Any under that mark are on the “yellow” checklist, with public well being officers nonetheless warning towards non-essential journey.
“In case you are touring, whether or not you might be vaccinated or unvaccinated – particularly if you’re unvaccinated – please don’t take COVID flippantly,” Chicago Division of Public Well being Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady mentioned in an announcement. “We nonetheless have a protracted approach to go earlier than we will all confidently journey safely all through the nation. COVID is a menace to everybody – however the menace is decreased tremendously if you’re vaccinated.”
States and territories at the moment on the advisory embrace: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, District of Columbia, Guam and the Virgin Islands.
Simply earlier than the Labor Day, town up to date its steerage for what unvaccinated vacationers visiting or coming back from such places ought to do, including new testing and quarantining suggestions earlier than and after journey.
In response to town, earlier than journey, unvaccinated people ought to:
- Get examined 3-5 days previous to departure.
- ALL people no matter vaccination standing ought to put on a masks on planes, buses, trains, and different types of public transportation touring into, inside, or out of the USA and whereas indoors at U.S. transportation hubs resembling airports and stations.
- In Chicago, put on a masks in all indoor public settings, no matter vaccination standing.
- Keep away from crowds, attempt to keep not less than 6 ft/2 meters (about 2 arm lengths) from anybody who just isn’t touring with you, and wash your palms usually or use hand sanitizer (with not less than 60% alcohol).
After journey, unvaccinated people ought to:
- Get examined with a viral take a look at 3-5 days after journey AND keep house and self-quarantine for a full 7 days.
- Even should you take a look at unfavorable, keep house and self-quarantine for the complete 7 days.
- In case your take a look at is constructive, isolate your self to guard others from getting contaminated.
- When you don’t get examined, keep house and self-quarantine for 10 days after journey.
- Keep away from being round people who find themselves at elevated threat for extreme sickness for 14 days, whether or not you get examined or not.
Town suggested all vacationers to observe themselves for COVID-19 signs and isolate and get examined in the event that they develop any after journey.
“We now have seen and know that journey is a major threat issue for buying COVID,” Arwady mentioned. “When you resolve to not get examined, the advice is definitely to remain house and self quarantine for 10 days after journey, and it’s best to keep away from being round anyone who has an elevated threat for extreme COVID outcomes for 14 days after journey no matter whether or not you get examined or not. Clearly we would like anyone who’s touring to self monitor for COVID signs and get examined should you develop signs.”
This week’s replace to the journey advisory comes at a time when the typical day by day variety of new instances in Chicago is right down to 352 per day – remaining flat from the earlier week.
That determine continues to be a lot larger than the low of 34 town noticed in late June however stays decrease than the greater than 700 instances per day town was seeing throughout the latest surge earlier this 12 months.
Hospitalizations in Chicago are down 16% from the earlier week, and deaths are down 46% from the week prior, per town’s information. The positivity charge in testing is right down to 2.2% this week, a drop from 2.3% within the final week.
Arwady famous final month that about 99% of latest COVID instances, hospitalizations and deaths are amongst unvaccinated people.
The journey advisory is up to date each Tuesday, with any adjustments taking impact the next Friday.